Tuesday, August 22, 2006

When the Levee Breaks

I have double the good news to announce. Yesterday saw me discharged from the hospital about the same time my sister was being admitted to give birth to my new nephew, Landon Edward Cuevas, who came into the world at 2:59 PM Central Daylight Time (Greenwich Daylight Time -0600), weighing in at 7lb 11oz and 21" long. Welcome and happy birthday Landon! I can't wait to meet you. Congratulations Joelle and Scott!

So, yes, I said I was discharged from the hospital. I was supposed to be spending this week helping excavate a Roman villa in Norfolk. My appendix had other plans. He wasn't a happy fellow. Last week he became inflamed, causing me much abdominal pain. He was sneaky though, and didn't show any other signs that he wanted to be separated from me, such as nausea or diarrhea. Then Friday evening he threw a fit, creating some of the most severe pain I've ever experienced, at which point I decided it was a good idea to go to the Emergency Room of Leeds General Infirmary. I was admitted, and Saturday afternoon, around 2 o'clock, the surgeons sucked out my appendix and stomped that puppy flat. This was the first time in my life I was admitted to hospital as a patient. I made it 30 years in life without experiencing the joys of being a hospital patient, the wonderful cuisine, sharing a room with 5 other sick people, the courtesy of leaving a light on for you all night, and the hourly visits from the nurses to poke you and squeeze you to make sure you're still alive. I hope I make it another 30 years before I am lucky enough to be admitted to hospital again. I'm recovering well though. My stomach has three holes in it from the laparoscopy, and is a bit tender and sore, but I'm quickly regaining my strength. I intend to spend the next few days surfing the net or parked on the couch watching westerns and samurai films (I am rarely at home alone with enough time to watch the films that Kat doesn't like to watch). Needless to say, I won't be digging trenches or lugging buckets of dirt anytime soon.

In other news, Kat will be on BBC4 Today programme tomorrow morning around 8:30AM talking about her book project on the Hyde Park Picture House. Tune in! If you don't live in an area where your radio picks up BBC4, then use the listen again feature on the website.

No comments: