Monday, June 04, 2007

Student Evaluation Forms

I have an upcoming review meeting for one of the modules I tutored on this past year. In preparation I have been given the evaluation forms given to the students at the end of the term to assess the course. The course in question has no final exam. The marks/grades are based entirely upon two essays that the students submit. I share with you some of the students' thoughts on the module. In the comments section for assessment, this one student said: "An exam on this topic would be hellish + frightening." So I'm guessing this student would prefer that we keep the current method of assessment. Another evaluation form was filled out by a very keen student who wanted to extend the seminar and workshop time to two hours per session. Although I'd get paid more, I'm not sure I would agree to such a change. My favourite comment: "seminar leader Michael Garcia did a brilliant job."

Most of the evaluations were very positive and the students seemed to really enjoy the course. That makes me very happy and although I probably won't feel the same way in September, I am looking forward to teaching the course again. In the past I've had these grand ideas for how to approach the subject and make it interesting for the students, but sadly I feel that I don't implement a third of the ideas. What usually ends up happening is that I get so busy with my thesis or something else that I just review the material the night before the seminar, doing the minimal amount of preparation required. And I feel guilty about that because I know I can do more. I need to re-read these evaluation forms just before next term so that it will inspire me to put more effort into tutoring.

1 comment:

Joelle said...

Good job! Yes, you should spend some time (even though you don't have it) implementing your ideas to make the class better. You will make the biggest difference by doing that.