Wednesday, April 12, 2006

From Roman Provinces to Barbarian Kingdoms

Although it is mid-April the mercury in the thermometer is still hovering just above freezing. We had a brief warm spell last week but now it's back to miserable.
I went to the train station this morning to get tickets to Liverpool for Friday. The university is shut for Easter, so Kat and I are taking a day trip. We'll be going to the Lady Lever Art Gallery, which has many pre-Raphaelite works of art. That evening we'll be taking a ghost walk tour of the city, run by a company called Shiverpool. Maybe we'll see the grave of Eleanor Rigby. Kat and I have been on many haunted history tours in a few cities, including London, Dublin, Edinburgh, New Orleans...and others that escape me at the moment.
I got a surprise in my inbox this morning. A couple of months ago I read about a conference this summer in Iceland on saints and geography, which is closely related to my thesis. I emailed the organiser and asked about the cost and whether or not any travel grants were available. The organiser emailed me back with more details and asked how it related to what I was doing. Being in Iceland, the costs were a little high, but the papers being presented had a technologoical focus, discussing the use of databases, something that is very relevant to my current work. So I wrote back explaining what my thesis is and what I'm working on. The organiser replied and asked if I could give a paper. I explained that I would love to attend and present a paper, but only if I managed to get some sort of travel grant, because I am poor as dirt. I didn't hear anything after that for some time, until this morning a mass email about the conference appears in my inbox. It includes more conference information about travel and accomodation, and the conference schedule. Listed among the speakers giving papers is me! I guess I was accepted, and I think I should start looking for travel grants. The good news is if I go, I can recycle the paper I plan to present to the University of Leeds Medieval Group in two weeks. But I still have a book review to write and work to submit to my supervisors. Oh, and I just rememberd that other paper I owe to an editor.

No comments: